You are here
Message from the Chair
Welcome to NYU Shanghai Parents Council! On behalf of all Council members, I want to thank you for your great support.
My husband and I are fortunate to have become engaged with NYU Shanghai since its inception in 2012. Over the past years, we are happy to see firsthand progress that the school has made. Our daughter has started her exciting journey as an NYU Shanghai student, and I believe you, a parent like me, have found NYU Shanghai a vibrant community within the NYU global network.
I am honored to serve as the Chair of the Council. I look forward to meeting many of you in the near future.
- Charlene Tang (Chair, 2017-2021)
What is the Parents Council?
The NYU Shanghai Parents Council consists of a select group of dedicated families from China and around the world. It acts as a liaison between the university administration and NYU Shanghai parent community. Council members are volunteers and philanthropic leaders who understand the importance of parents’ philanthropic involvement in NYU Shanghai and serve as ambassadors on behalf of NYU Shanghai to the greater global community.
What kind of activities to members engages in?
- Assist solicitation and cultivation of financial and volunteer support for NYU Shanghai.
- Help represent the interests of families of students on matters relating to NYU Shanghai life to the university leadership.
- Share professional expertise and offer networking opportunities to students if feasible.
- Host NYU Shanghai events or NYU in China events that promote parent involvement and increase their awareness of the latest news and opportunities at NYU Shanghai.
How much is a Parents Council member expected to give, and what does that gift go to support?
- A minimum gift of $5,000 to any program or fund within NYU or NYU Shanghai qualifies parents of a student for a year long membership of the council from the date the gift is received.
- The gift will support students’ scholarships and financial aid. As a key force for the development of NYU Shanghai, NYU Shanghai Parents Council’s philanthropic support will enhance students’ experience in ways that are beyond what tuition alone can provide.
What are the benefits of being on the Council?
- Members receive invitations to at least two gatherings each year that allows them to have direct interactions with the university leadership, renowned faculty, and distinguished alumni.
- They are invited to participate in exclusive University events.
- They become stakeholders in important decisions about the sustainability of the University
Interested in becoming a member? Please email Cathie Liu to learn more.
NYU Shanghai Foundation Parents Council Members (Academic Year 2019-2020)
- Charlene Tang and Edward Fang，NYUSH Parents
- Eddie Yong-Lan Chen ，CAS Parent
- Biao Jin，LS Parent
- Gordon Shaw and Christine Yu，LS Parents
- Carol Yan Jin，CAS Parent
- Feng Gao and Arlene Xu，CAS Parents
- Yong Ma，NYUSH Parent
- Weihua Gong，TANDON Parent
- Danian Wang，LS Parent
- Ivy Sisi and Shaogang Hu，NYUSH Parents
- Ping Xu，STERN Parent
- Guilin Zhu and Bin Lei, NYUSH Parents